If you’re a software developer interested in web technologies then you should really consider participating in Firefox OS App Days, a worldwide set of 20+ hack days organized by Mozilla to help you get started developing apps for the all new and shiny Firefox OS.
I’ll be attending the Silicon Valley Event on Saturday, January 19, 2013 being held at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California.
This should be a really good opportunity to start creating applications for the Firefox Marketplace and the upcoming Firefox OS phone.
As the folks from Mozilla describe it:
At each App Day event, you’ll have the opportunity to learn, hack and celebrate Firefox OS, Mozilla’s open source operating system for the mobile web. Technologists and developers from Mozilla will present tools and technology built to extend and support the Web platform, including mobile Web APIs to access device hardware features such as the accelerometer. We’ll also show you how to use the browser-based Firefox OS Simulator to view and test mobile apps on the desktop.
Firefox OS App Days are a chance to kick start creation of apps for the Firefox Marketplace, and represent a great opportunity to build new apps or optimize existing HTML5 apps for Firefox OS, as well as demo your projects to an audience of peers, tech leaders and innovators.
What to bring:
Bring your Linux, Mac or Windows development machine and device(s). Mozilla will provide everything else.
What to build:
The Firefox Marketplace is looking for open web apps that work well on mobile for Firefox OS and Firefox for Android. Mozilla is interested in all kinds of web apps. You can bring an HTML5 app that you’ve started and want to continue, finish, polish, or just present.
How to get started now (optional):
- Introduction to Firefox OS
- Firefox OS Docs
- Firefox Apps Docs
- Firefox Marketplace Developer Hub
- Firefox OS Simulator
- 8:30am - 9:30am: Registration. Coffee, light breakfast.
- 9:30am - 10:00am: Introductory remarks, Lou Schreier, VP, Portfolio Development and Technology Innovation, Deutsche Telekom, Silicon Valley Innovation Center and Rick Fant, VP Apps & Marketplace
- 10:00am - 10:30am: Introduction to Firefox OS, Andreas Gal, Director of R & D, Talks by Mozilla, DT, Devs
- 10:30am - 11:15am: Building Apps for Firefox Marketplace, Matthew “Potch” Claypotch, Firefox Marketplace Developer
- 11:15am - 11:30am: Design Patterns & Best Practices for Mobile Apps, Maureen Hanratty, Interaction Designer, Firefox Marketplace
- 12:00 - 1:00pm: food
- 1-5pm: app hacking
- 5:30pm -7pm: Demos & drinks.